Sunday, June 5, 2011

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

"It's always been just Kate and her mom- and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall. 
+
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld- and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive when Kate tries to pass the seven tests.
+
Kate is sure he's crazy-until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
+
IF SHE FAILS..."
Copyright © Harlequin Teen

This book was so hyped up in my head, and it just fell flat in my opinion. 

Synopsis: 
Katherine, or Kate, Winters grew up in the livelihood of New York City, with some of her favorite memories being with her mom. Her mom is terminally ill and she relocated to Eden, Michigan where all she does is sit at her mothers bedside and look as she slowly drifts away. Desperate to salvage her mother and her own identity she makes a deal with Henry. Henry aka. Hades is God of the Underworld, and makes a bargain with Kate when one of her friends, Ava, falls into the river and Henry retrieves her back to life. The deal Kate makes with Henry is that she gets to live forever if...she passes the seven tests in which the council (filled with a bunch of Henry's cousins and family aka. the main Greek Gods. Kate often questions if she has enough courage to stay or leave the manor on which Henry lives on or leave knowing she can't be with him or her mom forever. 

Characters
Katherine (Kate) Winters: Kate is your typical and average brooding teenage girl. She cuts class and questions life constantly and relies on others for her identity. Honestly, Kate is a boring character and the typical angsty teenager that I hope I would get in the book. I wish some more passion wold have ignited out of Kate to become more of a heroine in which she is supposed to be in the book. I couldn't deal with her nonsense and that she doesn't know how to defend herself in any way, shape, or form. She just allow strange men into her house and life and I wish I had more background with Kate as a character. Being that she is the main character... I didn't enjoy this book a whole lot. 
Henry: Henry is definitely not the bad boy I pictured when I was going into the story whatsoever. I felt as if, he was not God of the Underworld, but more as the God of do-whatever-you-want-I-don't-really-care-about-you-and-have-fun-frolicking-in-my-palace-filled-with-the-dead. I also didn't think he was dark, brooding, or mysterious (apparently, that was the opposite), because he was just annoying as well. His romance had a struggle budding with Kate and he, to me, was just a creeper that followed Kate everywhere and her bedroom when she was undressing. Wierd. 
Ava: Eh. I didn't really care for Ava's foolish endeveavors in the palace and she was the bane of my exsistence. She was more rebellious than Hades at least. 
Ella and Calliope: Ella was my favorite servant, she was the most bad-ass and Calliope just your run-of-the-mill caretaker. 
James: He was an OK character. Not the best re-appear character I have read about.

Honestly, it was a struggle getting through this book. I wish it had more action and survival that Kate would experience in the Underworld--not everyone waiting on her hand and foot. I was annoyed with most of the characters and the relationships- except for Kate's undying devotion to her mom. Otherwise, the gods were so minor and so shy that they were invisible in the book, and the book should have relied more heavily on them, in my opinion. The seven tests Kate goes through are the seven deadly sins and there is no happy ending in the end. I have no idea how I finished this, but it was boring. Kate just offered her loyalty to any character that would appear and her constant whining and bantering with Henry made me agitated. Overall, the Greek mythology in the book was very poorly executed and the Gods shouldn't be Gods at all...especially Henry which he was a very questionable Hades. The gods were the most disappointing element of this Greek mythology-based book and that the Gods should be filled with more emotion, lust, vain, and fire--this was also what I wanted to get while reading this book. Alot of the things happened were predictable in this book. I gave this book a two-star review, because it had good writing in Kate's POV and Kate was redeemable as a character. Everything else was not. 

Guys, next time when you step into the bookstore just please...don't be fooled by the pretty cover.

2 out of 5 stars.


1 comment:

  1. very interesting and honest review. thanks for sharing your thoughts. btw, i'm your new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete