Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

"Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets Étienne St. Claire. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend. 
But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with a long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guarenteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt."
Copyright © Dutton Books 2010 by Stephanie Perkins

This book left me wanting more and more...and more.
Challenge: Goodread Quarterly Challenge 2011:
I couldn't help myself. This book just blew other YA chick-lit romances into the water. Usually, I am not a big fan of contemporary romances (I prefer my paranormal, but thanks to Anna and the French Kiss I really now am more open to checking out more books like this in the YA genre.

The Review:
Anna and the French Kiss has been generating a lot of buzz in the blogosphere, and I wasn't drawn to it apparently for some odd reason. Generally chick-lit gives the effect on me, but now i'm kicking myself with Etienne St. Clair's boots harder until I bleed, because I am mad I didn't get to this book sooner.
Seriously, if you're thinking about reading this book--do it!
The story is about a girl named Anna Oliphant (aka. bananaelephant) who gets shipped of to a French boarding school called SOAP (School of Americca), because her dad wants her to experience more culture and whatnot. However, Anna doesn't want to leave Atlanta, Georgia--her best friend, Bridgette, her sort-of boyfriend that she meets in the movies, Toph, and her favorite little brother in the world that she will miss- Seany. Lets just say, that going to SOAP is not her favorite idea persay. However, she does meet some colorful characters when she gets there: 

Meredith: The fun-loving soccer playing girl who lives across the hall from Anna and gushes over one boy that will have some consequences at the end for both Anna and Meredith.
Rashmi: Anna's true close friend who guides Anna in the right directions and always has Anna's back at the end of the day- she is flawed and understands that everyone makes mistakes, but that's life for her.
Josh: Rashmi's boyfriend and a very typical bad-boy. Ditches class, fights, is into sketching, and has a skull-and-crossbones tattoo. Very cool character and gives off the vibe that he doesn't give a f***. *lawls*
Etienne St. Clair: *dies* Oh, Etienne why must I love you so? He is Josh's roomate and the cutest guy at SOAP. Ultimate hottie- popular, nice, and the perfect gentleman who gives Anna the time of day that she deserves. He makes Anna experience Paris through his eyes, and gets aggravated when Anna doesn't give her full-frontal focus to him. He has a British-accent, *spoiler* a mother who developed cancer in the book* and his father is a total-douche--something him and Anna can relate to. Did I mention he has a girlfriend *Grrrrr*

Overall, I found the characters to be relatable, but not boring. There are fights in the book, partying, and how each character relies on each other in the book...especially Etienne and Anna. Etienne helps Anna experience Paris and he shows her all his favorite places; Anna's favorite is the Bassett Hound theater , because Anna loves the movies and she is an aspiring movies critic. As the story unfolds, Anna sees how amazing Paris is and she is itching to get back to see Etienne when she is in Atlanta for winter break. Etienne and Anna share a deep connection when they're alone, however both of them fight in the name of love. Etienne had a girlfriend, which deeply aggravates Anna at the end of the day, because she develops undeniable feelings for Etienne towards the end. Both Etienne and Anna gravitate towards each other from the very minute that they see each other and their chemistry is evident. I really got absorbed in the book with the unfolding of their relationship and I just wish every man would be an Etienne...not a Dave or a Toph (read the book and you'll understand). Anna is not absolutely perfect, because she shows her true emotions in the end and she realizes that she can't make her life as pristine as her room.

I really enjoyed Perkins' writing style and how she really took me through Paris through Anna from the Luxembourg Gardens to creperies to the Notre Dame cathedral in the end (oh, so many good memories at the Norte Dame).
Here is a line from the book that summed up the gorgeousness' of Paris itself:
"The leaves are bright green with birth, the chesnut trees are clustered with pink buds, and the walkways are lined with lemon yellow tulips."
Yeah.
I loved the ending, but I do not want to spoil it for anyone else and I am glad it didn't end like one of the books of Anna's father (how they never had a true happy-ending). This book really was a coming-of-age story in a way and it answers that by leaving your parents can mean that true experiences evolve and I did enjoy Anna always second guessing herself in the name of Monsieur Etienne St. Clair. ;D

And, Stephenie Perkins is a NERDFIGHTER! Yes, DFTBA Stephenie Perkins and I can't wait for Lola and the Boy Next Door! 

Five out of Five Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy readings!





6 comments:

  1. i read anna and the french kiss too and this book is one of my favorites reads this year! can't wait for lola and the boy next door. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for Lola and the Boy Next Door either! *squeals*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered this from the library and it's in today! *squeals**dances* Ok, I'm done. Girl, I totally have been kicking myself for not reading this book. It's cool. Just know you are not the only one who sucks and avoided this book for no good reason and now hates herself.

    Found you through the New Books for New Bloggers membership. I'm a new member and your newest follower!

    ~Trish Just a YA Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's totally squeal-worthy and I recommend to gobble it up ASAP *lol* thank you so much for the follow and I really appreciate the support
    *hugs the computer monitor*
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog :D Awesome review!!

    I see you're reading Hex Hall. I hope you'll like it. Archer is not St Clair but he's cute and I liked him nonetheless. I'll come back to check your review (new follower)

    Happy reading! Lilie

    ReplyDelete
  6. If, by any reason, you haven't read Anna and the French kiss yet go out and buy it now. It has everything a YA romance should have, is going to make you smile, is going to make you laugh so hard that you are going to need a few deep breaths to calm yourself and you will fall in love with Paris, Étienne and the way Stephanie writes.

    Stephanie, you are an amazing addition to my favorite authors! You are not only unique but funny and great :D

    ReplyDelete